I used to associate beets to those cold salads served in the canteen. I couldn’t eat them, but then I started to mix them with other food: balkan cheese, goat cheese and then risotto. I found the combinations amazingly tasty! When I made beets risotto, even people who did not like beets before began to love them. The mixture brings a sweet taste to the rice and with parmesan cheese it is delicious!
- 350g of a arborio rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 raw beets peeled and shredded
- 1,2 L of chicken/vegetable stock
- 40g of parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add onion until translucent.
- Add shredded beets and cook during 12 minutes.
- Put half of the beets into a bowl.
- Add rice to the pan and cook it during 2 minutes.
- Then add two ladles of stock and stir. Once the stock is absorbed, add another two ladles. Stir until absorbed. Repeat until there is no more stock and the rice is tender and sticky.
- When the rice is done, reduce heat and add the rest of the beets and the parmesan cheese. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Serve right away.