Swiss chard pesto
This post is also available in: Spanish
It is wonderful when you can use a whole vegetable and do not need to throw away some parts of it. That is the case of the swiss chards. If you do not know what to do with the leaves, we have the solution for you: a simple recipe that is going to save your vegetable.
Moreover, this pesto is really nutritious. Indeed, swiss chards contain vitamins A, B, C, E and K, minerals like copper, calcium, sodium, potassium, iron (more than in spinach), magnesium and phosphorus, fatty acids, omega-3, flavonoids and other antioxidants like beta-carotene. They also strengthen the immune system, promote the health of your bones and limit neuronal damage to the brain, protect against cardiovascular diseases, help control cholesterol and contribute to weight loss.
- The leaves from a handful of swiss chard
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic cloves
- salt & pepper
- Put the leaves in boiling water during 5 minutes (to blanch the leaves). Remove them from water and let them cool.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and mix well.
- Pon las hojas en agua hirviendo durante 5 minutos (se llama escaldar las hojas), retira el agua y deja que se enfrie.
- Pon todos los ingredientes en una batidora y mezcla bien.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of swiss chards, check this article out.