Vegan lemon pie
As part of Day 9 of the #30VeganDays challenge, I decided to bake something with lemon. After checking on my different recipe books and Pinterest, I finally came across a vegan version of the classic lemon pie.
Well, when you become vegan, the first things to do are making vegan version of your favorite recipes! That’s what I am currently doing starting with this pie.
I wanted a light recipe which meant no butter at all! I finally found the perfect combo: lemon and cashews! I decided not to buy lemon juice but fresh lemon which I juiced with an amazing tool I brought from Mexico (and that you can find here in Europe too but which is not as used as over there).
- For the base:
- 35g of cashews (soaked at least 4 hours)
- 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of agave syrup
- 90g of flour
- a pinch of salt
- For the lemon curd:
- 75g of cashews (soaked at least 4 hours)
- 150 ml of lemon juice (around 6 little lemons)
- 150 ml of agave syrup
- 110 ml of water
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- zest from one lemon (optional)
- strawberry to decorate (optional)
- Start with the base : put the cashew in a blender and mix until finely ground. Add the rest of the ingredients except the water and mix until it holds together. If not, add a bit of water until it does. Divide the paste into 4 pieces and put them into 4 little baking pans. Prick each one with a fork.
- Bake them during 12 min at 180° and let them cool 6 min in the oven before getting them out.
- For the lemon curd: put the lemon juice, agave syrup, water and cashews in a blender and mix until well combined. Put the mixture into a little pot and bring to a boil. In the meantime, mix the cornstarch with 80ml of water in a small bowl. Once boiling, reduce the heat and add the cornstarch mixture, mixing well permanently during 1-2 min until the mixture begins to thicken. Once ready, let it cool and pour it into the bases. Slice some strawberries to decorate and add some lemon zest on top.
Like every dish, it is always better the day after (it enables the flavors to spread well) so prepare it in advance if you can!
Do not hesitate to adjust the quantity of lemon juice and sugar (we always put as little sugar as possible) to your taste!