9 Tips To Get Fit Anywhere!
This post is also available in: Spanish
Doing exercise will make you feel better, live longer, be stronger, feel more energized, less stressed and have a good mood. Exercising is a key element of a balanced life style, it’s more than a cosmetic issue, it is a health issue.
Here are some tips to be in good shape at any time:
- Find the sport that suits you better: Yoga, running, swimming, box, tennis, etc. Practice what you like the most. Do not force yourself to do something you do not like.
- Practice at home: you don’t have money to go to a gym? No problem! Nowadays, there is a lot of people offering different sport classes at YouTube (for free). I actually started practicing Yoga at home with the P90X from Tony Horton. It is not free but the whole program is completely worth it. The Yoga session on that program lasts about 1h and 35 min so if you find it long try the P90X3, all exercises there last about 30 min each and they are also great! You see? No excuse 😉
- Stop associating workouts with the idea of losing weight: sports are a great way to shed weight from overeating but not only that. Sports are also a way to relieve stress, to relax, and to take care of yourself. Visualize them as a tool to be healthier, in a good shape, and more energized.
- Stop making excuses: if you are thinking “I do not have time”, “I am tired”, “this is too hard”, you are not following the right path. Change your mindset a little bit. Allocate at least 15 minutes of your day to move your body a little bit. Nothing good ever started with a negative mindset.
- Listen to your body: nobody said you need to workout everyday. Resting is equally important for your body so make sure you are having yourself at least a one day break per week. If you are ill, or if you are feeling really tired, please rest even longer. Your body will recover faster if you let it rest. Listen to your body!
- Establish a plan: schedule your workouts with a general overview of what you are going to do, for how long, how many repetitions, etc. By doing this, you are preparing your mind and body in advance and you will make it easier for yourself. Visualization is an important part of the work.
- Keep a workout log: it will enable you to see your progression and will give you extra motivation. Set some goals and get ready to surprise yourself!
- Find a partner: or a group. You will keep each other motivated and encourage to continue. If you would like to do it alone or don’t want to find a partner, or a group, then get yourself a calendar and mark it with a happy note every time you exercise.
- Do shorter workouts: if you do not have 1 or 2 hours left in the day, do 15 to 30 minutes of exercise. Remember, some exercise is better than no exercise!
If some days you do not have time to do full workouts then try doing some little exercises during the day. Here are some tips:
- Wake up stretching your body. It will help your body wake up and feel more energized.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator (take the stairs by two for extra fun).
- Get off the metro one station before your destination and walk.
- Go shopping by bike or simply by walking instead of taking the car.
- Do some push-ups during a break or at any time. I do 10 in the morning after stretching or in the afternoon.
- Flex your abs when you are brushing your teeth.
- Stay on one leg when you’re on a call.
So start thinking positively about workouts, establish a plan and have fun!